Here are other exciting things that have happened on April 25th:
- 2007 - Boris Yeltsin's funeral
- 2004 - Alan Kay, co-inventor of the Smalltalk programming language, receives the 2003 ACM Turing award
- 1990 - The Hubble Space Telescope was deployed from the space shuttle Discovery.
- 1983 - Pioneer 10 travels beyond Pluto's orbit.
- 1972 - Paula the cat, a ten month old tabby, survives a fall from the 26th floor of an apartment building in Toronto.
- 1964 - Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Detroit Red Wings 4 games to 3 for their third consecutive Stanley Cup. This is their second last time winning the Stanley Cup.
- 1961 - Robert Noyce is granted a patent for an integrated circuit.
- 1953 - Francis Crick and James D. Watson publish Molecular structure of nucleic acids: a structure for deoxyribose nucleic acid describing the double helix structure of DNA.
- 1950 - BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and PEI sign an agreement with Ottawa to build the Trans-Canada Highway.
- 1945 - Nazi occupation army leaves Milan after a partisan insurrection. This day is taken as symbol of the liberation of Italy and is an annual public holiday in Italy.
- 1945 - Fifty nations gather in San Francisco, California to begin the United Nations Conference on International Organizations.
- 1719 - Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe is published.
- 1507 - America got its name from German cartographer Martin Waldseemueller, who first used the term on a world map to refer to the huge mass of land in the Western Hemisphere, in honor of Italian navigator Amerigo Vespucci.
Also born on this day:
- 1981 - Chris Graham (Winnipeg triathaloner and OVR Pass attendee)
- 1976 - Tim Duncan (NBA player)
- 1969 - Gina Torres (actress - Alias, Firefly, Angel)
- 1969 - Renée Zellweger (actress)
- 1940 - Al Pacino (actor)
- 1917 - Ella Fitzgerald (singer)
- 1900 - Wolfgang Ernst Pauli (Nobel Prize laureate)
- 1284 - King Edward II of England
- 1214 - King Louis IX of France
- 32 - Marcus Salvius Otho (Roman Emperor)