Vincent Cheung

Vincent Cheung's Blog


« Newer Post Home Older Post »

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Battlestar Galactica withdrawal....

Must..... have.... more..... Battlestar Galactica!!! Someone give me a hit!! Anyone?!?! I just want one more episode!!! I'll do anything!!!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!


Edit (after several hours of counseling):

Hi, my name is Vincent and
I'm a Battlestar Galactica addict.


Having gone through Harry Potter and Desperate Housewives, I moved onto Battlestar Galactica. Watched the mini-series (basically the length of a movie), the first season (13 episodes), and caught up to the most recent episode in season two (episode 10). Unfortunately, no new episodes until January :(

If you've seen the show, you probably know why I'm addicted, if you haven't, then you probably think that only light sabre swinging, dungeon dragon playing, Star Trek obsessed, overalls up to their neck, nerd geek freaks would watch a show called Battlestar Galactica. I was just as skeptical when I first heard of the show. With a name like Battlestar Galactica, you just expect it to be another Star Trek / Babylon 5 / other space nerd show. Well, it's not.

Battlestar Galactica is not about traveling faster than the speed of light, fighting aliens, discovering new planets, or using futuristic technology, the show is all about what it means to be human. The story is set-up through the genocide of humans by our own creation, but soon questions our humanity and reflects on how we live in our current civilizations. The characters make the show and they are amazing and the character development is really deep. The characters are real people. The script is clever and well written.

I implore you to give it a shot. Watch the mini-series. It's only the length of a movie. Otherwise I'll force you.

Also, it's not just a show for guys, to my complete utter surprise, I met several females over the weekend who watch Battlestar Galactica, and one of them is not a techie at all - she works in HR and was not at all impressed by my binary joke.

Here's a wiki about the show. And for the guys (and girls who swing the other way), here's a very convincing argument, my current obsession, Grace Park, who unfortunately does not wear such outfits on the show (for the girls out there, she's quite clothed on the show).

9 Comments:

Alan Howard said...

Looks like you and I are both in the same club! Go Galactica!

Vince said...

I'm telling you, everyone's watching Battlestar Galactica, even my Kiwi buddy Alan!

Alan Howard said...

Ummm... I'm actually an Aussie who's just living in kiwi-land! :-p

Vince said...

Shhh... people will start to think that I don't actually know you!

Sarah said...

the binary jokes better stop by the time you get back.

Vince said...

I was mostly concerned about why she didn't think that 64 was a "nice" number - we were on the same team on 6 deck nuts/nertz/showdown solitare and keeping track of our score and I commented that 64 was an easy number to remember b/c it was "nice". She was not at all impressed that 2^6 = 64...

Sarah said...

i dont know many nontechnical people who appreciate exponents or binary. neither of these things makes their lives "nice" or easy :)

you could have maybe half-saved yourself if you switched to 8 times 8.

Vince said...

Yes, that makes it an even nicer number, but it's all about powers of 2 ;)

Alan Howard said...

"Shhh... people will start to think that I don't actually know you!"

Nice to know that you want people thinking you do. *grin*

Post a Comment