Vincent Cheung

Vincent Cheung's Blog


« Newer Post Home Older Post »

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I sleep on grain and under geese

It was a rather comforting feeling being back in my bed last night. I like my mattress here. Not too soft. Not too hard. My mattress in Seattle was alright, but I didn't like their mattress cover thingy b/c it bunched up sometimes.

The thing that most surprised me was the feeling of my blanket. I had completely forgotten what it felt like. I didn't particularly like the blankets in Seattle. The bed was like a hotel bed - flat sheet, fuzzy blanket, flat sheet, thin colourful blanket. The housekeeping people also tucked in the sheets like in a hotel. Sometimes I like to sleep with the blankets all tucked in, but other times it feels to restricting. I only now realize, after sleeping back in my bed, why it doesn't feel the same. With those blankets, what happens, especially when the sheets are tucked in, is that you get the "tent" effect. The blankets will cover you, but drape off you very gradually, leaving an air gap between you and the blankets, plus the blankets feel dense and the layers can get mis-aligned.

I have a goose down blanket here. It's thick, but fluffy and light. I use it throughout the year - keeps me warm in the winter, somewhat cool in summer. Lying in bed last night, I really felt the difference. It was such a comforting feeling. The blanket hugged me completely, but was not suffocating as it's light. The air gaps were very minimal as it naturally filled in all the empty space between me and the blanket. Just an amazing feeling.

Of course, I had my pillow with me in Seattle. Anyone that is familiar with my sleeping habits knows that I don't go anywhere without my pillow. Seriously, if I'm travelling anywhere, I take my pillow with me. What's so special about my pillow? It kicks ass, that's what's special about it. What? Ya, that's right, it kicks ass. You're crazy. I know.

I have a buckwheat pillow and have had one for who knows how long, probably like 10 years or something. My pillow is filled with grain. What? Yes. Grain. It's kinda weird, but I love it. I love how it conforms to the shape of my head and neck, provides amazing support, feels great on my head, and doesn't retain heat (the old commerical took a blow torch to the pillow, so I guess it's also not flammable). When I use other pillows now, my neck is usually sore when I wake up. I just got a Duo Bucky pillow a couple months ago to replace my older buckwheat pillow (which was many years old) and it's great. This particular pillow has both buckwheat and millet inside.


The best part of having a buckwheat pillow are the KO's you get when you have pillow fights ;)

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Joe Garibay and I am from theoriginalmakura.com, and I was just wondering about your buckwheat hulls and your site. My company has been the leader in buckwheat hull pillows for the last 20 years and they are certified 100% organic. I am wondering if you might be interested in promoting our product on your site, in order to complement your product line and increase web traffic and sales. I also have my own grower and trucking account and have extremely competitive prices for bulk orders. All of our buckwheat hulls are single flake and 10 times filtered for dust and impurities. I am also able to set up drop ship accounts within 24 hours. Please read my general email letter and respond to the email or phone number listed below.



Jeremy R La Pointe, President
JM Corporation
The Original Makura Division
2339 W. OKLAHOMA
Ulysses, KS 67880





We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to experience JM Corporation’s The Original Makura Pillow.

With 20 years of experience in manufacturing orthopedic buckwheat hull pillows we can offer the highest quality product in today’s market. Our company strives in providing outstanding products that guarantee relief from chronic neck and back pain enabling the people to enjoy a more restful night’s sleep. At JM Corporation we stand behind our products, we offer a 30-day money back guarantee.

We at the JM Corporation feel that our products could be a great asset to your company. I look forward to hearing from you and establishing a great partnership

For pictures, pricing, and product information please Contact:



Joe Garibay
JM Corporation
The Original Makura Division
Executive Accounts Department
4141 W. Glendale Ave. Suite 3114
Phoenix, Az. 85051
(623) 939-1169 (office)
(602) 434-9944 (cell)
joeg@theoriginalmakura.com

Anonymous said...

WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED OUR PILLOW AND HOW IT IS WORKING OUT FOR YOU!

Vince said...

Yes, I have received the pillow and it's working out great! I've been meaning to blog about it, but I haven't had time.

Bob said...

Don't let your cat pee on this one!

Vince said...

It's not something I actively encourage. It just happens :s

Anonymous said...

just dropping in to see how the pillow was working. hopefully the cat has not received a new bed, but hey we are in the works of making organic pet beds made out of these hulls

Anonymous said...

I, too, love buckwheat pillows. But i wanted to tell you I like your blog! You post about a variety of things but they are all relevant and you make them interesting!

Great Job!

Post a Comment