Vincent Cheung

Vincent Cheung's Blog


« Newer Post Home Older Post »

Friday, January 06, 2006

Korean food, oh how I've missed you!

I finally satiated my Korean food craving that I've had since I left Toronto in August. Specifically, I wanted chicken noodle soup from Seoul Restaurant on Bloor. It's not what you'd typically think of as chicken noodle soup. It's more noodle than soup (think like instant noodle kinda thing, but a million times better). I beleive that the noodles are made from scratch at the restaurant and they resemble a thicker, chewier version of linguini (flat long pasta strands). Absolutely amazing! The texture, chewiness, and taste are like nothing else! I also quite enjoy the slices of potatoes, not too hard, not too soft. The mushroom slices add a nice touch as well. I'm not sure how "Korean" this dish is, especially this particular preparation, though I've seen it in several restaurants, but I love it.

As a side note, I went today only because I was able to rollerblade there! Yes! I rollerbladed outside on the street in Canada in January! Global warming at its best!!! It's actually pretty ridiculous. It's stupid warm. Not only is it not white outside, but it's actually GREEN!!! The grass is still green!!! Anyways, blading to Korean town (yes, there's actually a Korean town here) is much preferable than walking. The restaurant is rollerblade friendly in that they don't kick you out for wearing rollerblades, which is awesome. Also the first time I went to a restaurant and ate by myself (fast food doesn't count). Ya, and I was still in my volleyball clothes, but I didn't care b/c I got to satisfy my craving :p

I've been wanting to go back to Seoul (the one that's actually in Korea) ever since I was there for vacation a long time ago for the sole reason of the red bean fishes! At least back then, street vendors would make this baked pastry/cake type thing with red bean inside and the whole thing was in the shape of a fish. I love red bean. I was going to make a big pot today, but I was too lazy. I'll probably do it this weekend. If you don't know what I mean by red bean, you're totally missing out. It's an asian dessert thing which is literally red beans and sugar. The typical chinese form is like a soup (basically sugar water), but also found in drink form (red bean ice), popsicles (amazing!), bubble tea (usually fake poweder stuff), and in a paste, which is used in a variety of ways, one of which is the red bean fishes. Amazing stuff. Beans, beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot! I'm getting off topic. Anyways, I've had some variants of the red bean fishes here, but they don't taste as good as in Korea. Tough to beat street vendors :p. I would eat like a couple every day in Korea. Fun to watch them make it too. Made using a cool little contraption.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

happy tooting

Anonymous said...

You can have "red bean fishes" in Toronto. Go to Galleria Supermarket North of Yonge & Steeles

mimmers said...

VINCE WHY AREN'T U COMING HERE WHILE I'M IN KOREA TO VISIT???? THEN U CAN HAVE ALL THE KOREAN FOOD U WANT

Miss T. said...

mmmm.. korean food is the BEST.

Flo said...

There was one Korean restaurant in my place but they closed. Now I won't be able to eat my favorite bibimbap. Huhuhu.

And oh, yeah those fishies! Yum yum! They have those in Japan, too. I believe they are called taiyaki there.

Post a Comment