Vincent Cheung

Vincent Cheung's Blog


« Newer Post Home Older Post »

Saturday, January 21, 2006

First time snowboarding and I'm still intact!


Tried snowboarding for the first time today! I had a good time. Conditions were much better than last week. Well, anything other than rain on the slopes is an improvement over last week :p

We had some informal lessons by a guy in the ski and snowboard club. I think I caught on quite quickly and managed to carve on both edges within an hour on the bunny slopes. Balance on a board took a little getting used to since I've never really been on a board of any kind before.

I was able to go down the beginner slopes quite well, and then craving a beaver's tail, tried to get to the village. Big mistake. I can't do intermediate runs yet. It was actually frustrating going down it because I was like, I could easily do this if I was on skis! I think I was just too scared. Scared of going too fast and getting out of control. When this happened, I just lost my technique and stopped putting my weight on the front of the board. I'm not sure if it's taking me longer than skiing or not. I don't think I was able to do intermediate runs until the second day of skiing.

The jury's still out on whether I like skiing or snowboarding better. I'll give it a couple more tries. Going down the beginner slope pretty fast and reasonably in control is a lot of fun. One thing's for certain, snowboarding boots are a lot more comfortable and look nicer.

Oh, and I had no idea that it was Mimi's birthday today (the person, not the cat). Happy birthday Mimi! Not that you read my blog...

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

you seem to have done much better than i on my first try, mind you i've never tried skiing. regardless i fell sooooo many times and i was soooo exhausted. i wanna go again.

Vince said...

Oh, I fell a lot and had some good wipe-outs. Wearing my volleyball kneepads was an AMAZING idea! Nothing like falling without pain!

Bob said...

nice butt shot! ;)

yeah I tried snowboarding before.. the trees kept getting in the way.

Vince said...

Haha, not my ass! Ripped that picture from a stock photo site....

Post a Comment