Vincent Cheung

Vincent Cheung's Blog


« Newer Post Home Older Post »

Sunday, December 11, 2005

The symphony and other random stuff

I checked out the Millenium library today, which just opened recently after much delay (hence the millenium library opening at the end of 2005...) It's pretty nice now, though I would have liked to see more study space and longer hours (they kicked us out at 5). It's nicer/newer than the Toronto reference library, but pales in comparison in size.

I got some clothing from MEC today as well. I needed some ski clothing - quick dry undergarments.


I also went to see (hear?) the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's Holiday Express concert today with Jill and the girls (Lindsay, Monica, Kelly, and Lisa) for Jill's belated birthday. The 5-to-1 girl to guy ratio was pretty good, although you should probably take away the married girl from the equation.

I quite enjoyed it. It was the first time I went to see any type of symphony. All the different types of sounds were really cool and figuring out where the sound was coming from always provided entertainment. The whole thing was sort of shifted towards pop and mainstream as it was a holiday special. It was mostly Christmas carols with a Chanukah song and a vocalized version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas thrown in. I wasn't a big fan of the singing Santa or the ballet dancing reindeer, nor was I pleased with the solo singers. The choir was quite good though.

The symphony outing has added to my "open mind" project.

We all headed over to Jill's and met up with Rob and Chris and just hung out. Snacks, drinks, cake, Cranium. Good times.

2 Comments:

Sarah said...

you can see the TSO for 10 bucks if you are under 29. and you get really good seats. (tsoundcheck.com)

Vince said...

I've heard about that, but haven't taken advantage of it yet.

It's on the list of things to do.

I had a prof in undergrad that stressed the importance of opening your mind to other things outside of engineering for balance in life, etc. and suggested that everyone go to the symphony, ballet, art galleries, etc. I see his wisdom now.

Post a Comment