Vincent Cheung

Vincent Cheung's Blog


« Newer Post Home Older Post »

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

I hate looking for housing

I find looking for housing to be a very frustrating, time-consuming, and stressful process. Damn it Google, you do search, why can't you do a good job of searching for housing??!?!?!?!?? Hmmm... maybe I should bring that up while I'm over there...

Anyways, here are some good things I got going for me to offset the lack of a place in San Fran:

Submitted my 3rd paper this year!
Started drinking really early this week - in the pub at 3 pm on Monday!!! Brendan took Inmar, Delbert, and I to O'Grady's to celebrate our recent paper submissions. I did however, do intoxicated coding until 10 pm at school :p. Hey, I was being productive and I knew that if I stopped to go home, I wouldn't do any more work. Plus I wasn't hungry b/c of the pub food.

Only 50 billion more papers to write this year.


Found the missing condom!!!


I was SO happy that I found my missing condom! I found it maybe 2 weeks ago (been meaning to blog about it, just kept forgetting). I put a bunch of batteries into one of the pockets on the side of my backpack meant to hold water bottles so that I could bring the batteries to school and put them in the recycling thing. I go to take out the batteries and I'm like, what's this? Who put garbage in here??!?!?! What?... MY CONDOM!!!!!!

The reason I like it so much is because it keeps my umbrella neat when not in use and it's cleaner to put in the side pocket of my backpack and also in my suitcase.


Chicken Noodle Soup... from scratch!

 

I love chicken noodle soup, but not the shit from a can. I mean like the stuff you get in a restaurant. I figured, how hard could it be to make it from scratch? Plus, it should be pretty healthy. Well, the answer is: pretty easy and pretty healthy. My first shot was about 2 weeks ago and I made it again last weekend.

Basically I just throw in 3 chicken breasts, onions, carrots, celery, and a couple black peppercorns into say 4L of water. Cook for like 2+ hours. Cut/rip up the chicken in the pot itself so as to not lose any precious juice. Throw in the noodles and simmer until done.

I cheated the first time and threw in a bouillon cube, though I'm not sure if cheating is the right word b/c I'm not convinced that it made it taste better, just gave it a little more colouring.

The second time, I added in more of the Italian herbs (from a shaker thingy), olive oil (mentioned in most recipes, but I just didn't have it the first time), and potatoes (inspired by my favourite Korean dish). The potatoes were definitely a nice touch. I love that the soup is so hardy. It's totally a meal in itself. More chewing than sipping and I almost needed a fork.

My next goal is to make my own noodles, then it'll be completely from scratch!


On a side note, I think I broke my camera while snowboarding (or should I say, falling while snowboarding). When I look in the view finder, it's always zoomed in, even though the camera's not zoomed in. It takes pictures fine, I just don't know what I'm taking a picture of. When I use the LCD, it looks fine, the problem is that that sucks up a lot of battery life and I can't use that when the batteries are low. My camera is also a couple years old so it sucks up batteries (AAs) pretty bad and my rechargeables aren't very good. I was thinking of getting new rechargeable batteries, but they're a little pricey and I'm likely going to be getting the hand-me-down camera from my family sometime soon (i.e. before I make my money's worth with the new batteries). For now, I have an extra set of batteries that I can keep charging and most of my pictures are just around the house anyways. For longer trips, I can just buy the photo batteries. Anyways, expect worse quality pictures from now on. At least I can now blame my photography on my camera :)

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

With all that "extra" money you have, I think it's time for a camera upgrade. Olympus makes some really nice ones that are more friendly to active people (shock/splash resistance). They even have one out that is completely water-proof! Come on, you know you wanna :)

Sarah said...

looking for housing is frustrating...except that you get to move to CALIFORNIA!!!!

you will definitely find a good place. there is still tons of time. when i was looking for my place this year it was like first/second week of august, and although i had to look at some shit places, i ended up finding a really nice place with a really nice roommate. you will too!

and if not, you can just live in a van.

Bob said...

yeah the soup in a can is total crap. Making your own noodles eh?? ambitious!

DUDE!!! you totally gotta get a van!! Live up the hippie lifestyle. You could grow out your hair and wear tie dye shirts and no shoes, and be all like "whoa.. I have the munchies" It'd be AWESOME.

Vince said...

Hahaha! If I was to get a van, it'd definitely have to be the Turtle Van or the Mystery Machine! Rob, the big problem with your plan is that if I let my hair grow out, it won't even be long enough at the end of the summer :p

I did see a listings on craigslist saying that I could live on a boat...

Sarah said...

if i cant choose van for you, i definitely choose boat.

Bob said...

Plan B: Get a hippie wig.

Yeah a boat would be rockin!

Vince said...

When I think of living on a boat for the summer, I think of Dawson's Creek...

The boat option is definitely out of the question for me though. I don't feel like being sea sick the whole summer :p

Post a Comment