Vincent Cheung

Vincent Cheung's Blog


« Newer Post Home Older Post »

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

It took me just over a week, but I finally got my hands on a Nintendo Wii!

It was actually pretty sad up until that point. I had 2 games, an extra Wii remote, and a nunchuck, but didn't have the system to actually use that stuff!!! Yesterday, back in the day when I was Wii-less, I connected the Wiimote to my Powerbook using the Bluetooth connection. I was able to control the mouse (poorly b/c I didn't have the infared thingy) using Darwiin Remote and various applications using Remote Buddy. It was pretty cool. I think for my next talk, I'm going to use a Wiimote to control Powerpoint :). That made me feel a little better that I was at least able to use the Wiimote despite not having a Wii.

Anyways, I went to Futureshop at 10:30 am today and they had a shipment of 3 Wii's that morning and I got the last one! They weren't out on display and I had to ask someone to get it. It was the first time (after like 30+ tries) that the person didn't just outright say "NO!". She went to the customer service desk and came back with a Wii! I was actually pretty shocked. I was at the point where I was tired of getting my hopes up and I was just going through the motions and just didn't expect to get a Wii, but was trying anyways. Today was my last ditch effort. I would hate to have to work at any store that carries (or should I say, doesn't carry) the Wii or PS3. "Do you have any Wii's in stock?" "Do you know when you'll be getting more?" Some people were rather annoyed at me when I asked such questions as they had obviously been asked the same questions time and time again for the past month and a half... Always the same answers: "Nope" "Nope, they just come randomly"

I had an inkling that Futureshop was going to get some Wii's today. I was carefully studying the shipment patterns of stores and was pretty sure that Futureshop, Walmart, and EB Games were going to get Wii's today. These two forums have been very useful. Yesterday I went to 2 Futureshops, a Best Buy, a Superstore, 3 Walmarts, 2 EB Games, a Toys 'R Us, and a Zellers. Nothing. Saw a bunch of PS3s, but not a single Wii. There were just no deliveries. Last week however, Futureshop, EB, and Walmart supposedly got shipments on Wednesday and I missed it b/c I didn't have access to a car and didn't go to any places until the late afternoon (on my first of 3 trips to Gord's for my snowboard rental). So, with the mirroring of holidays this week, I highly suspected a shipment and knew approximate delivery times as well - Futureshop in the morning, EB and Walmart before noon, probably around 10ish. Yes, all my careful observations and studying of patterns paid off!

I also picked up a 3rd Wiimote from Superstore. I'm going to wait for the game Wii Play, which supposedly includes a Wiimote for my 4th controller.

It definitely lives up to the hype! I played it all afternoon and my older sister played it through the evening as well (mostly Rayman Raving Rabbids and Wii Sports). My Mom even joined in. My younger sister just missed it as she flew back to Saskatoon last night. It's not unusual for my family to play, we used to play the original Nintendo together. There was a lot of Dr. Mario back in the day. Oh those combo's that made extra pill crap fall on the other person's screen!

The Wii's all packed up and ready for it's trip to Toronto! I figured that it'd be easier to buy it here in Winnipeg where I have access to a car, plus there's 1% less tax, and my family could try it out. The only reported injury is that my Mom hit her arm on the corner of the coffee while bowling. She's gonna get a bruise...

Oh, my Wii friend code is 2390 3177 9065 4384.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finally getting a Wii! I suspect you already have it hooked up in Toronto.
Just remember, you have a phd to finish (or start :) ) so you can't hibernate completely!

Vince said...

You can go online with the Wii, so I don't see a conflict of interest since I can do my thesis on the Wii :)

Justin said...

I was at Zellers today. PS3s a plenty. No Wiis. And all I bought was washer fluid.

Post a Comment