Vincent Cheung

Vincent Cheung's Blog


« Newer Post Home Older Post »

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Happy Birthday and (Belated) Anniversary Mimi!!!

At the top of the Waterfall run at Blue Mountain


It's hard to believe that it was just over a year ago that Mimi and I were forced to sit together on the bus after Crystal ditched us on the ski and snowboard club trip. It was definitely against both of our wishes, as we found the other to be annoying, but by the end of it, we had overcome our initial impressions of the other person and were friends.

Today was this season's first outing with the U of T ski and snowboard club and it was much better than last season's. We had a short charter bus this time instead of a school bus and it took us just over 2 hours to get there and so, even after getting the season passes, we still had about 5 hours on the slopes. Most of the runs were open, the first time this season for many of the runs. None of the runs were groomed, but there was a decent amount of powder, but it was spotty as I did come across some ice and grass patches. I started off at the North base, having jumped off the bus after getting my season pass and rode all the runs to the South base, and then traversed back to hit the Northern most side for the blacks and double blacks, and then back to the South end for the bus. I did my first double black diamond on snowboard today! Ok, aside from that time I accidentally went down that double black moguls with Manuel at Crystal Mountain and just edged it down. Anyways, it wasn't that great b/c it was pretty much all ice at the top, but I managed to mostly stay in control. I was quite impressed with myself, having almost conquered the mountain on almost exactly the 1 year anniversary of when I started snowboarding.

It's surprising how perspectives change over time. I have gone snowboarding 5 times (Seattle and North Dakota) since the last time I went to Blue Mountain and the runs seemed a lot easier this time. Dr. Doug, my most feared blue run as a skier, is now a joke even as a snowboarder. Black diamonds weren't very challenging today, when they were last time I was there, and double-blacks aren't even that intimidating now, aside from being pure ice.

On another note, of course with my luck, fuckin' Marsha, my face for evil in the world, was on my bus. When I saw her come on the bus, I had to restrain myself from screaming and pushing her off the bus. And being the bitch she is, she was late to get back onto the bus and was the last person to get on. I was hoping that we would leave without her. The only redeeming thing was that I didn't hear her on the bus as she was at the front and I was at the back, though I don't think she knew many people on the bus this time. Everyone who knows her probably switched buses. I know I would have had I known she was going to be on my bus.

With traffic, we got back to campus at 6:30 pm. By the time I dropped my stuff off at home, got changed, and bladed to Sid Smith for fellowship, it was a little after 7. The back door was locked and I really didn't want to enter in the front nearly 2 hours late. I text messaged Michelle to open the back door for me. I didn't think this had much of a chance of working, as I figured she would either have had her phone off or wouldn't have heard it. Surprisingly within a few minutes, she came and opened the door for me :). I was also able to successfully reverse stalk Yuan.

3 Comments:

mimmers said...

aww THANKS VINCE!! I feel so ancient now! but this marsha girl.. throw something at her.. i hate ppl with absolutely no consideration for other people

Vince said...

I want to throw a bullet at her.... with a gun.... at her head.

Ms. Ly said...

that last comment was so cristina yang!

Post a Comment