Vincent Cheung

Vincent Cheung's Blog


« Newer Post Home Older Post »

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Horrible way to start the day

Ironic how I wrote about waking up from sleep and yet, I woke up feeling like complete shit this morning...

Being only temporarily here in Seattle, I'm living in corporate housing, and I get the luxury of apartment cleaning every second week. They always come "early" in the morning on Wednesdays, like 9:30 am. Also, since I had to relocate here from far away, I just brought the minimum stuff with me, which means that I left my beloved dual alarm clock back in Toronto. Since my hours are flexible, what I generally do here is set the one alarm to be quiet and just wake up when I wake up.

The first thing I hear this morning is a pounding on the door. I know it's the cleaning people. My first thought was, why are they here so early? I set my alarm to 8 and should've woken up way before they came. I don't like to have to brush my teeth, etc. and eat breakfast when they're here cleaning. I glance over at my alarm clock and was like, "What??? Why are they here at 7:30????" I decide to let them just go away and come back later. While they have the keys to my apartment, there's an extra deadbolt that cannot be opened from the outside, so I figure that they'll just go away. Well, they didn't go away, and they keep pounding on the door. I give up and decide to get dressed and let them in. As I'm blind without my glasses or contacts, I glance at the clock after I put on my glasses and see that it's 9:30.....

Words to the wise: DON'T FORGET TO TURN ON THE ALARM!!!

I hate my alarm clock here. I have to flick that little switch to on, which I'm not accustomed to doing with my alarm clock back home. Ya, so anyways, I woke up feeling like crap after sleeping for 8 hours. Stupid cleaning people did not wake me up during "light" sleep. I had the urge to crawl back into bed, but they went right into my bedroom to change my sheets, so being robbed of both my sleep and bed, I decided to get up and go to work.

On another note, as my revenge, I had left a sizeable mess in the kitchen from the past few days of cooking that I was going to clean up this morning before they came, but they had to deal with it since they woke me up from my slumber.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

how you wake up is sooooo critical. i'm jealous of your 8 hours of sleep.

Vince said...

ummm.... you're a grad student, what reason do you have to not sleep in?

Vince said...

well, there's definitely people that are worse off then I am. I've got about -5 in each eye. It's enough that everything is blurry without a prescription and I can't read what I'm currently typing on my laptop without being about 10" from the screen.

Vince said...

Wow, that's quite a high prescription. A friend of mine is in the same boat and he says that he's near the border of being clinically blind.

At least we're all fortunate enough to have glasses or contacts. Don't know what I'd do if I lived in a time where such things were not available.

Post a Comment